By Davd Feldshuh
Miss Evers Boys is a fictionalized account of the Tuskegee Study of Untreated Syphilis in the Negro Male that took place in Macon County, Alabama. From 1932 to 1972, hundreds of poor black men suffering from “bad blood” were given mercury and arsenic, a treatment that worked if it didn’t kill the patient, until funding ran out. The diligent Nurse Evers is faced with a difficult decision: to tell the men that they are no longer being treated, or follow the lead of her superiors and the tenets of the nursing profession. David Felshuh's riveting drama explores still-relevant topics such as medical ethics, prejudice, misogyny, classism, black, white and the areas in between.
We are seeking a cast of 7 actors to bring this classic story to life. This production of Miss Evers Boys will feature the actors playing live 'found instruments' such as washboard, spoons, trashcans, vocal arrangements and harmonica. MUSICAL PERFORMERS ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED.
ADULT PERFORMERS OF ALL AGES ARE WELCOME!
Sunday, December 10th @ 7:00pm - 9:00pm
Monday, December 11th @ 7:00pm - 9:00pm
The Pearl Theater
14803 Park Almeda Dr.
Houston, Tx 77047
WHAT TO BRING:
- 1 minute Dramatic/Serio-Comic Monologue
You may be asked to read a side from Miss Evers Boys upon arrival.
Stipends available for those qualified.
Miss Evers Boys runs 3 weekends, including one Tuesday and one Thursday show, February 16 through March 4, 2018
(**NOTE: ALL CHARACTERS, with the exception of Dr. Douglas, ARE AFRICAN-AMERICAN**)
- Eunice Evers (20s - 40s) - Public health nurse. Intuitive, warm and charming. Must be able to balance vulnerability and steely determination.
- Dr. Eugene Brodus (30 +) - Administrative Head, Memorial Hospital, Tuskegee, Alabama. Highly intelligent and hardworking.
- Dr. John Douglas – (20+) Field physician, United States Public Health Service. Professional and astute.
- Willie Johnson - (20-30s) Field tenant. Lively showman. Dance/singing skills are strongly encouraged.
- Calep Humphries- (20 +) Field tenant. Assertive and charismatic. Singing/playing skills are strongly encouraged.
- Hodman Bryan - (30 +) Field tenant. Spiritual and supportive. Singing/playing skills are strongly encouraged.
- Ben Washington (30+) - Field tenant. Stubborn and steadfast. Singing/playing skills are strongly encouraged.
For more information on audition, please feel free to contact us.